The molecular building blocks of cells not only orchestrate intricate and interconnected biological processes, they also govern our interaction with the environment on a much larger scale. Our group develops advanced quantitative fluorescent imaging tools that provide molecular and functional information with single-molecule sensitivity and nanoscale resolution. Currently we are interested in investigating the spatiotemporal coordination of biomolecules in nanoscale volumes pertaining to signaling pathways, protein turnover, and nano-bio interactions. With this new molecular information, our lab seeks to advance and transform the technical capability of early detection, treatment assessments, and biomarker discovery from the bottom up. We are a diverse innovation-driven research group that integrates super-resolution microscopy, biochemistry, nanotechnology, computational modeling, and cell biology. The group strives to create an open environment that is conducive to learning and testing creative ideas.
- Y. S. Hu, H. Cang, B. F. Lillemeier, Superresolution imaging reveals nanometer- and micrometer- scale spatial distributions of T cell receptors in lymph nodes, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A., 113(26), 2016.
- Y. S. Hu, X. Nan, P. Sengupta, J. Lippincott-Schwartz, and H. Cang, Accelerating 3B single molecule super-resolution microscopy with cloud computing, Nat. Methods, 10(2), 2013.
- Y. S. Hu, Q. Zhu, K. Elkins, K. Tse, Y. Li, J. Fitzpatrick, I. M. Verma, and H. Cang, Light-sheet Bayesian microscopy enables deep-cell super-resolution imaging of heterochromatin in live human embryonic cells, Opt. Nanoscopy, 2(7), 2013.
- Y. Hu, J. Jeon, T. J. Seok, S. Lee, J. H. Hafner, R. A. Drezek, and H. Choo, Enhanced Raman scattering from nanoparticle-decorated nanocone substrates: a practical approach to harness in-plane excitations, ACS Nano, 4(10), 2010.
- Y. Hu, S. J. Noelck, R. A. Drezek, Symmetry breaking in gold-silica-gold multilayer nanoshells, ACS Nano, 4(3), 2010.
BS (summa cum laude), University of Houston, 2006
PhD, Rice University, 2011
Postdoctoral Scholar, California Institute of Technology, 2011-2012
Research Associate, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 2012-2018