2210A SELW, MC 111
The Hu group specializes in single-molecule and super-resolution imaging. The research develops fluorescence imaging techniques to study the subcellular processes of immune cells. The multidisciplinary research combines single-molecule and super-resolution microscopy, nanotechnology, computational modeling, and T cell biology.
Novel optics, probes, and algorithms for next-generation super-resolution imaging
Super-resolution imaging reveals nanoscale biological structures with a spatial resolution of 10 to 20 nanometers. We take an interdisciplinary approach to advance super-resolution techniques toward quantitative, functional, and deep-tissue imaging.
Decoding signaling and function in space and time
The compartmentalization and dynamics of biomolecules contain “fingerprint information” about the cellular state and function. Our research extracts image-derived biological information to understand membrane-associated signaling in T cells and antibody functions.
Engineered nanocarriers enable targeted intracellular delivery of functional materials. We utilize bioconjugated nanoparticles and single-particle tracking to monitor and modulate intracellular processes, one molecule at a time.
- Y. S. Hu, H. Cang, B. F. Lillemeier, Superresolution imaging reveals nanometer- and micrometer- scale spatial distributions of T cell receptors in lymph nodes, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A., 113(26), 2016.
- Y. S. Hu, X. Nan, P. Sengupta, J. Lippincott-Schwartz, and H. Cang, Accelerating 3B single molecule super-resolution microscopy with cloud computing, Nat. Methods, 10(2), 2013.
- Y. S. Hu, Q. Zhu, K. Elkins, K. Tse, Y. Li, J. Fitzpatrick, I. M. Verma, and H. Cang, Light-sheet Bayesian microscopy enables deep-cell super-resolution imaging of heterochromatin in live human embryonic cells, Opt. Nanoscopy, 2(7), 2013.
- Y. Hu, J. Jeon, T. J. Seok, S. Lee, J. H. Hafner, R. A. Drezek, and H. Choo, Enhanced Raman scattering from nanoparticle-decorated nanocone substrates: a practical approach to harness in-plane excitations, ACS Nano, 4(10), 2010.
- Y. Hu, S. J. Noelck, R. A. Drezek, Symmetry breaking in gold-silica-gold multilayer nanoshells, ACS Nano, 4(3), 2010.
BS (summa cum laude), University of Houston, 2006
PhD, Rice University, 2011
Postdoctoral Scholar, California Institute of Technology, 2011-2012
Research Associate, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 2012-2018