2210A SELW, MC 111
The Hu group specializes in single-molecule and super-resolution imaging. The research develops fluorescence imaging techniques to study the subcellular processes of immune cells. The multidisciplinary research combines single-molecule and super-resolution microscopy, nanotechnology, computational modeling, and T cell biology.
Novel optics, probes, and algorithms for next-generation super-resolution imaging
Super-resolution imaging reveals nanoscale biological structures with a spatial resolution of 10 to 20 nanometers. We take an interdisciplinary approach to advance super-resolution techniques toward quantitative, functional, and deep-tissue imaging.
Decoding signaling and function in space and time
The compartmentalization and dynamics of biomolecules contain “fingerprint information” about the cellular state and function. Our research extracts image-derived biological information to understand membrane-associated signaling in T cells and antibody functions.
Engineered nanocarriers enable targeted intracellular delivery of functional materials. We utilize bioconjugated nanoparticles and single-particle tracking to monitor and modulate intracellular processes, one molecule at a time.
1. Y. S. Hu, H. Cang, B. F. Lillemeier, Superresolution imaging reveals nanometer- and micrometer- scale spatial distributions of T cell receptors in lymph nodes, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A., 113(26), 2016.
2. Y. S. Hu, X. Nan, P. Sengupta, J. Lippincott-Schwartz, and H. Cang, Accelerating 3B single molecule super-resolution microscopy with cloud computing, Nat. Methods, 10(2), 2013.
3. Y. S. Hu, Q. Zhu, K. Elkins, K. Tse, Y. Li, J. Fitzpatrick, I. M. Verma, and H. Cang, Light-sheet Bayesian microscopy enables deep-cell super-resolution imaging of heterochromatin in live human embryonic cells, Opt. Nanoscopy, 2(7), 2013.
4. Y. Hu, J. Jeon, T. J. Seok, S. Lee, J. H. Hafner, R. A. Drezek, and H. Choo, Enhanced Raman scattering from nanoparticle-decorated nanocone substrates: a practical approach to harness in-plane excitations, ACS Nano, 4(10), 2010.
5. Y. Hu, S. J. Noelck, R. A. Drezek, Symmetry breaking in gold-silica-gold multilayer nanoshells, ACS Nano, 4(3), 2010.
BS (summa cum laude), University of Houston, 2006
PhD, Rice University, 2011
Postdoctoral Scholar, California Institute of Technology, 2011-2012
Research Associate, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 2012-2018